Do you have a conference, call for proposals, or other opportunity you think may be of interest to our blogging network? Let us know.
UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- Adoption Connection workshop with blogger Lori Holden: Reading of The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption followed by a birth mother panel
October 17 in San Francisco, CA
- Adoptions From The Heart conference: “Adoption In A Changing World: Tools for Professionals & Families”
October 22 in Middletown, CT
- Adoption Knowledge Affiliates conference: “Chapters in Adoption”
November 8-9 in Austin, TX
- The Adoption Policy and Reform Collaborative Conference: “Reframing the Adoption Discourse”
November 16 in St. Paul, MN
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
- American Adoption Congress is accepting workshop proposals for its annual conference, “Building Bridges for Change,” to be held April 10-13 in San Francisco. Deadline is September 15.
- In Fact Books is soliciting essays for an upcoming anthology tentatively titled, “Oh, Baby: True Stories About Tiny Humans.” They write, “We want well-written, true narratives about the art and science/wonder and struggle of birth, babyhood, and childrearing. Whether it’s about adopting them or making them, raising them or ‘sitting them, loving them or fearing them, if you’ve got a story about tiny humans at the outset of life, we want to read it.” Details here; deadline is October 14.
CALLS FOR PARTICIPANTS
- The Adoption Institute is updating its (excellent) 2012 report, Untangling the Web: The Internet’s Transformative Impact on Adoption. In preparation for the report, it is conducting online surveys of adopted persons, adoptive parents, birth/first parents, and adoption professionals about their relevant use of the internet. Surveys here.
- Montclair State University associate professor Amanda Baden is seeking adopted adults and clinicians who treat adoptees for a study on the clinical treatment of adoption triad members and training of clinicians who treat them. Survey here.
- Lehigh University graduate student Candice Presseau is seeking transracial adoptees who were adopted by white parents and are at least 18 years old for a study. Survey here.
NEW BOOKS WITH ADOPTION THEMES
We receive lots and lots of emails about newly-released books related to adoption here at OAB. Bloggers tend to be big readers, so I thought it might be worth spreading the word about them, in case any of them interested you. I haven’t read any of these–if you have, please let us know in the comments what you thought!
- Adoptive Parent Intentional Parent: A Formula for Building & Maintaining Your Child’s Safety Net by Stacy Manning (parenting)
- Hypothetical Future Baby: An Unsentimental Adoption Memoir by blogger Claudia Chapman of My Fascinating Life (adoptive parent memoir)
- Full Circle: The Real Story behind My Fairy Tale by Dee Dee Hixson (first parent memoir)
- Anybody’s Miracle by Laura Hercher (novel)
- A Gift for Little Tree by Colleen D. C. Marquez (children’s book)
- Fraud on the Court: One Adoptee’s Fight to Reclaim His Identity by Mike Chalek (adoptee memoir)
- The Eye of Adoption: The True Story of My Turbulent Wait for a Baby by Jody Dyer (adoptive parent memoir)